Update on the latest news, sports, business and entertainment:

CAMPAIGN 2016-TRUMP-CLINTON

UPDATE: Trump says Clinton trying to 'smear' him

MANCHESTER, N.H. (AP) — Donald Trump is accusing rival Hillary Clinton of "trying to smear" him and his supporters with a speech that will try to link him with hate.

Clinton is delivering a speech Thursday highlighting Trump's support within the "alt-right" movement, which is often associated with efforts on the far right to preserve "white identity."

Trump says that Clinton is trying to accuse all of his millions of supporters, including those attending the New Hampshire rally where he is speaking, "of being racists, which we're not."

He says, "It's the oldest play in the Democratic playbook."

He said her speech is aimed at distracting from questions about her family foundation and private emails use.

He calls it "one of the most brazen attempts at distraction in the history of politics."

CAMPAIGN 2016-CLINTON

UPDATE: Clinton warns of 'radical fringe' in GOP

RENO, Nevada (AP) — Hillary Clinton is warning that the Republican Party is being taken over by "a radical fringe," motivated by "prejudice and paranoia."

Clinton's comments, released as excerpts ahead of her speech in Reno, Nevada Thursday, targeted Donald Trump. She said he "built his campaign on prejudice and paranoia," which is "taking hate groups mainstream."

Clinton also said that Trump's "disregard for the values that make our country great is profoundly dangerous."

The Democratic nominee has been painting her opponent as fearmongering and racist as he works to win over minority voters. Trump has struggled to win over Hispanic and black voters.

At a rally earlier in the day, Trump said Clinton's speech is aimed at distracting from questions about her family foundation and use of private emails.

CAMPAIGN-2016-CLINTON-TRUMP

Clinton video has supremacists lauding Trump

WASHINGTON (AP) — Hillary Clinton's campaign has released an online video that compiles footage of white supremacist leaders praising Donald Trump.

The video comes ahead of a Clinton speech Thursday that will seek to attach Trump to the so-called "alt-right" movement that is often associated with efforts on the far right to preserve "white identity."

Trump has been criticized for failing to immediately denounce the support that he's garnered from white nationalists and supremacist, including former Ku Klux Klan Grand Wizard David Duke.

Trump's campaign responded with a strongly worded statement from a prominent black supporter, Pastor Mark Burns, who says Clinton and her campaign "went to a disgusting new low" with the video tying the Trump Campaign to "horrific racial images."

He called on Clinton to disavow the video.

CAMPAIGN 2016-TRUMP

NEW: Trump accuses Clinton of running 'criminal enterprise'

MANCHESTER, N.H. (AP) — Donald Trump is escalating his attacks on Hillary Clinton, accusing her of running "a vast criminal enterprise run out of the State Department."

There is no evidence of any such thing.

But Trump, who is trailing in the polls, says that revelations that many donors to the Clinton family foundation met with as secretary of state represents "one of the most shocking scandals in American political history."

"It's Watergate all over again," he claims.

Trump is speaking at a rally in Manchester, New Hampshire.

ITALY-QUAKE

Aftershocks add to anxiety in Italy

AMATRICE, Italy (AP) — Aftershocks are adding to the anxiety and despair in central Italy, a day after a quake killed 250 people and leveled three small towns.

One aftershock today crumbled some buildings that had already been cracked yesterday, prompting authorities to close roads.

Firefighters and rescue crews using sniffer dogs have been working in teams in the areas that were hardest hit. They're not saying when their work will shift from saving lives to recovering bodies.

Firefighters are escorting earthquake survivors back to their homes — temporarily — to get some belongings left behind when they fled the shaking.

SEVERE WEATHER

UPDATE: Kokomo-area residents got alerts before storms

KOKOMO, Ind. (AP) — Howard County and the city of Kokomo have only 10 tornado sirens, but a telephone and text-messaging system spread the word about dangerous storms bearing down on the central Indiana community.

WRTV-TV reports (http://bit.ly/2bCZFhp ) the emergency alert system was installed in the county after a 2013 tornado.

Before the first tornado struck Wednesday, thousands of people received telephone calls or text messages.

Howard County Commissioner Paul Wyman says "thousands upon thousands of people in Howard County" have signed up for the notifications and "it worked unbelievably well. ... People were getting notifications well in advance of these tornadoes touching down."

The National Weather Service says one tornado was an EF3 with 165 mph winds. Authorities report only 10-15 minor injuries in Howard County.

DEEP SOUTH WEATHER-GOVERNOR

Governor to request more federal help

YOUNGSVILLE, La. (AP) — Louisiana Gov. John Bel Edwards visited a subdivision in Youngsville, near Lafayette, where every third or fourth house still had a pile of flood debris on the lawn, and occupants were still gutting and clearing damage.

One woman told Edwards she has always paid her taxes on time, but now cannot get the help she needs.

Edwards said afterward that like many other areas that flooded this month, people in Youngsville were in areas that had never flooded and didn't have to buy flood insurance. He says that insurance is designed to cover all damages, while help from the Federal Emergency Management Agency cannot do that.

He says he will ask Congress for more money to help the recovery.

COLOMBIA-PEACE ACCORD

Colombian president declares cease-fire

BOGOTA, Colombia (AP) — Colombia's President Juan Manuel Santos has declared a cease-fire against the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia after reaching a historic deal to end a half-century of hostilities with the group.

Santos said on the steps of congress that the cease-fire would take effect at midnight Monday.

The FARC declared a unilateral ceasefire a year ago and the government has suspended aerial bombings against guerrilla camps. But Santos had always refused to declare an outright halt to military actions until a final deal was reached. That happened Wednesday after more than four years of negotiations.

IPHONE-SPYWARE

Apple boosts iPhone security after Mideast spyware discovery

PARIS (AP) — Apple says it is issuing a security update after powerful espionage software was found targeting an activist's iPhone in the Middle East.

Computer forensics experts tell The Associated Press the spyware takes advantage of three previously undisclosed weaknesses in Apple's mobile operating system to take complete control of iPhone handsets.

Two reports published Thursday by the San Francisco-based Lookout and internet watchdog group Citizen Lab outline how the spyware could compromise an iPhone with the tap of a finger, a trick so coveted in the world of cyberespionage that one spyware broker said last year that it had paid a $1 million dollar bounty to programmers who'd found a way to do it.

Apple said in a statement that it fixed the vulnerability immediately after learning about it.

EXONERATION-SETTLEMENT

Exonerated North Carolina man receives $3.25M settlement

RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) — A city council has approved a $3.25 million settlement for a North Carolina man who spent 24 years in prison for a rape he didn't commit.

The Hickory City Council voted Wednesday to approve the settlement with Willie Grimes, who was sentenced in July 1989 to life for two counts of first-degree rape and nine additional years for one count of second-degree kidnapping for the assault of 69-year-old Hickory woman in 1987.

He was paroled in May 2012 after the state Innocence Inquiry Commission unanimously agreed that enough credible evidence existed to refer Grimes' case to a three-judge panel. That panel later declared that Grimes was innocent, as the now 69-year-old man had always maintained.

Grimes' attorney says he is a man of faith who will continue to live simply.

EPIPEN-SARAH JESSICA PARKER

NEW: Sarah Jessica Parker cuts ties with EpiPen after price hike

UNDATED (AP) — Saying she is "disappointed, saddened and deeply concerned" by the price hike of the EpiPen, actress Sarah Jessica Parker has cut ties with the company that makes the emergency allergy treatment.

Parker, whose 13-year-old son James Wilke has severe peanut and hazelnut allergies, was part of a short campaign with pharmaceutical giant Mylan N.V., maker of the EpiPen. She was never a spokeswoman.

The company is facing heated criticism about the average cost of the EpiPen climbing more than 600 percent over the past decade.

Parker took to Instagram on Thursday to distance herself from the company and urged it to "take swift action to lower the cost to be more affordable for whom it is a life-saving necessity."

A representative for the actress confirmed the statement was accurate.

CONGRESS-EPIPENS-MANCHIN

Manchin to review Mylan response to criticism over EpiPens

CHARLESTON, W.Va. (AP) — U.S. Sen. Joe Manchin says he's concerned about skyrocketing prices for life-saving allergy injection pens made by a company headed by his daughter.

In a news release Thursday, the West Virginia Democrat says he plans a detailed review of drugmaker Mylan's response to criticism about the cost of EpiPens.

Manchin's daughter, Heather Bresch, is CEO of Mylan. She told CNBC Thursday that lowering the price wasn't an option.

Manchin says he plans to work with others to reduce prescription drug prices.

According to the Elsevier Clinical Solutions' Gold Standard Drug Database, a two-dose package that cost around $94 nine years ago has risen more than 500 percent to an average cost of $608 in May. The hike has been criticized by Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Clinton and members of Congress.

DRUG DEATHS-OHIO

UPDATE: Ohio governor sees progress, despite drug toll

COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) — Ohio's governor sees progress in the state's anti-drug efforts, despite a new report that shows another record death toll from accidental overdoses.

Accidental drug overdoses killed a record 3,050 people in Ohio last year.

Republican Gov. John Kasich (KAY'-sik) says he feels "terrible" about the deaths, but believes lives are being saved by steps taken, including increased monitoring of drug prescriptions and crackdowns on "pill mills."

He wants continued expansion of anti-drug messages to young people, beginning in their early school years. He says the previous generation grew up accustomed to easy access to painkillers that have fueled overdose deaths.

He also urged interstate cooperation in anti-drug efforts.

Kasich spoke Thursday to a special regional judicial summit on opioids in Cincinnati involving officials from nine states.

VOLKSWAGEN-EMISSIONS SCANDAL

Volkswagen, dealers reach tentative deal in cheating scandal

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — Volkswagen has reached a tentative deal with its U.S. dealers to compensate them for losses they said they suffered as a result of the company's emissions cheating scandal.

Attorneys for Volkswagen and the roughly 650 dealers announced the deal at a court hearing Thursday. The value of the settlement was not disclosed, although Volkswagen said in a statement later that it would include cash payments.

U.S. District Court Judge Charles Breyer gave the attorneys until the end of September to submit a final proposal. The deal would require Breyer's approval.

Volkswagen previously reached an agreement with attorneys for car owners. That deal calls for it to spend up to $10 billion buying back or repairing the majority of the roughly 560,000 vehicles involved in its scandal and paying their owners.