Thursday, February 27, 2014
(Albuquerque, NM) -- Over a dozen workers have tested positive for radiation exposure following an accidental release of high levels of radiation at an underground nuclear waste site in New Mexico. No workers were underground at the Waste Isolation Pilot Project near Carlsbad earlier this month when air sensors below the surface triggered an alarm indicating excessive amounts of radioactive particles. Managers of the facility said at the time that none of the workers above ground were exposed but results released by the U.S. Energy Department on Wednesday now show 13 employees were in fact exposed to radioactive particles. A field office manager says it's still too early to speculate on the health effects or if any treatment may be needed.