Thursday, October 1
Perez throws 6 innings, Braves beat Nationals 2-0
ATLANTA (AP) — Rookie Williams Perez threw six innings and the Atlanta Braves' bullpen did the rest as they recorded a rare shutout in beating the Washington Nationals 2-0 on Wednesday night.
A.J. Pierzynski had an RBI single in the first inning one night after hitting two home runs, and Michael Bourn singled home the Braves' other run in the second.
Rookie Arodys Vizcaino earned his 10th save — and second in two nights — with a perfect ninth. This was the Braves' first shutout since beating the Mets 1-0 on June 21. Edwin Jackson and Peter Moylan pitched perfect innings out of the bullpen.
Jordan Zimmermann (13-10), a fixture in the Nationals' rotation since 2011, took the loss in what will likely be his final appearance for the team that drafted him in 2007. Zimmermann, a free agent at the end of the season, gave up two runs and six hits in six innings in his career-high 33rd start.
SOUTHERN U-GALES INJURY
Southern launches fund to support Devon Gales' recovery
BATON ROUGE, La. (AP) — Southern has launched the Devon Gales Fund to provide financial assistance to Gales' medical expenses following his surgery for a spinal injury in Saturday's loss at No. 8 Georgia.
The effort is being organized by Southern's athletic department and the Southern University System Foundation.
All donations can be made at the fund's website. Contributions also can be mailed to: Southern University System Foundation, c/o Devon Gales Fund, P.O. Box 9562, Baton Rouge, La. 70813.
Gales had surgery on Sunday in Athens, Georgia, to repair several fractures in his neck. Gales will remain at Athens Regional until he returns to Baton Rouge, Louisiana for further treatment.
Georgia coach Mark Richt opened his weekly news conference on Tuesday by encouraging fans to contribute to the fund.
NASCAR champion Stewart will retire after 2016 season
KANNAPOLIS, N.C. (AP) — Tony Stewart says he'll retire following the 2016 season.
The three-time NASCAR champion announced his decision Wednesday at the team shop in North Carolina, saying "next year will be my last year in the Sprint Cup Series." He said it was "100 percent" his choice.
His planned departure is not a surprise. Stewart will be 45 next season, hasn't won a race in over two years and has been privately working on finding a successor for the No. 14 Chevrolet all year.
The last three years have been trying for Stewart. He struck and killed a sprint car driver during a 2014 event in New York. He also missed the final third of the 2013 season with a broken leg suffered in a sprint car crash.
Appeals panel upholds penalties against Bowyer and MWR
CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP) — An appeals committee has upheld penalties against Clint Bowyer and Michael Waltrip Racing that effectively ends any shot Bowyer had at winning the Sprint Cup championship.
The three-person National Motorsports Appeals Panel on Wednesday ruled NASCAR was correct in penalizing the No. 15 team for an illegally modified part two weeks ago at Chicagoland Speedway.
Bowyer was docked 25 points, which dropped him to last in the 16-driver Chase for the Sprint Cup championship field. Four drivers will be cut from the field after this weekend's race in Dover, Delaware.
Crew chief Billy Scott will begin a three-race suspension this weekend. He was also fined $75,000 and placed on probation for six months.