Case of missing NH convicted killer ends in Greece

NASHUA, N.H. (AP) — A New Hampshire man who fled in 1991 a day before being convicted of killing his 2-year-old stepson has been tried and convicted again in Greece, where he is serving an 18-year sentence for the boy's death, authorities said Friday.

Federal and state officials held a news conference to provide an update on Steven Kamberidis' whereabouts since he disappeared May 14, 1991, the day before he was convicted in Nashua of second-degree murder in the 1989 beating death of James Chartier. Kamberdis, who was free on $50,000 bond when he went missing, was sentenced in absentia to 30 years to life.

New Hampshire law enforcement said they had known for at least a decade that Kamberidis was in Greece, and FBI officials said the agency had been making a concerted effort to bring him to justice since 2006.

"It was a fugitive case, not a cold case, and not a cold fugitive case either," FBI supervisory special agent Kieran Ramsey said before the news conference. "We've known he was in Greece for quite some time, for years."

Police in Greece said Kamberidis, a Greek national, was arrested Feb. 5 in a village near Thessaloniki, the country's second-largest city. He was tried, convicted, and sentenced again.

At the news conference, Ramsey said the prosecution, conviction and sentencing of a Greek citizen for a U.S. crime was "unprecedented" for both countries.

He said Kamberidis had a vast network of relatives in Greece and had worked for relatives in various flooring businesses. He said Kamberidis had remarried, but he did not know if Kamberidis has children.

Autopsy results show James died of a fractured skull. During Kamberidis' New Hampshire trial, a medical examiner testified the child's injuries were comparable to falling out of a three-story window and were caused by multiple, forceful blows. After his arrest, Kamberidis was held without bond. But once bond was set, his father posted it.

Kamberidis and the child's mother, Tracey Nicholson, were married seven months before the child died.


Associated Press writer Costas Kantouris in Thessaloniki, Greece, contributed to this story.